Here is an exciting video of Keno in action. Peer into our amazing future:
Wow! However, Don Williams does not approve, so the incredible, fast-paced excitement of Keno may not be heading our way after all. Darn.
Rell Proposing Deep Cuts
Rell’s budget proposal comes after Democrats have started pushing for an amendment to be passed requiring the comptroller to estimate the size of deficits should the governor and legislature not be able to agree. Rell’s proposal has many deep cuts. You can read the entire proposal here (PDF).
Among the cuts:
- Closing the Norwalk, Derby and Manchester courthouses, and the Putnam JD court
- Reducing overtime for the Department of Public Safety
- Eliminating funding for the Jobs First Employment Services program (the governor calls into question the efficacy of the program, and states that it hasn’t met goals)
- Elimination of 200 seasonal employees in state parks
- Suspending much of the state’s marketing funds, including funds for regional tourism districts
- Closing the J.M. Wright Technical High School and the Bristol Technical Education Center
- Suspending funding for the State-Wide Digital Library, a diverse collection of online resources and databases
- Closing the Riverview Children’s Hospital in Middletown
The budget does not increase taxes or reduce aid to towns.