I finally got around to watching Peter Schiff on The Daily Show from last night, and I have a couple of thoughts:
- Jon Stewart seems to really like him, but wasn’t aware that he was thinking of running for office until the end of the show
- He’s easily the most comfortable on camera of any of the candidates, including Dodd
- Those clips of the arrogant idiots of financial talk shows back in 2007 and 2006 making fun of this guy for, as it turned out, correctly predicting exactly how badly things were going to turn out are incredible, and give him huge credibility
- While his message is alarming and unsettling, his credibility makes it hard to dismiss
- I could see him developing a committed, devoted following if he runs, though I still have trouble seeing him actually nominated by the GOP
- And okay, Tim White, I agree: I’d love to see him debate Dodd on economic policy
Overall I thought it was a positive appearance for Schiff. He did mention that he was continuing to think about running for Senate against Dodd.
I’ll put up the video when it’s available.